Friday, February 03, 2006

excellent article in yesterday's Guardian by Rob Newman... he states that capitalism and sorting out the environment just wont work together... an idea I have propounded a number of times whilst imbibing alcohol late into the night... but he puts it so much better than I could... to put it simply he says that capitalism is all about increasing profits and ever-expanding markets and in a finite world this just isn't possible ... there will come a time, and it's just about there when we will have to adjust our lifestyles to live within boundaries... that carbon neutral behaviour is not some fanciful ideal but a necessity... and what did I buy yesterday whilst ambling around Sainsbury's... strawberries and raspberries! In February!!!!! hmmmm I think I have to re-think... maybe the theme of 2006 is to live within my limits... I have made vast in-roads to sort out my finances with the view of actually paying bills and living within my means... and now I need to look at my impact on the world... can I justify the flight to mexico by the fact I will be working on a project to protect an ancient rainforest??...yes think I can... but will have to look at sources for doing up my flat and make sure it is all kosher! anyway an excellent article!!

No comments: