Tuesday, February 24, 2004

Sitting on the tube this morning and pondering the ineffable when I started looking at shoes!! Odd how they really characterise someone.. but do they characterise more than the individual?? I was looking particularly at the high spikey heeled and pointy toed variety and wondering how anyone could actually want to wear them? At first I had two questions. initially simply;1) are they actually comfortable? and 2) What do they say about the person? But I realise that so many women wear pointy, spikey uncomfortable shoes that it is saying something more about our society than just an individual preference.... perhaps it is saying something about female sexuality too and how it is percieved and what is the norm? To me sex is all about something very natural, very much a part of everyday experience... and the shoes I wear reflect this..... they fit my feet, I can run in them... they match my body.... but pointy spikey dangerous shoes say something else about the perception of female sexuality.. they say something dark something painful something unnatural... What is our society about when for society to recognise a woman as attractive and for a woman to feel she looks attractive and sexy she has to wear something disabling, something uncomfortable, and something possibly even painful?? Weird indeed!

No comments: